Spring is a time of new beginnings and fresh flavors, and nothing says "spring" quite like the bright, tart taste of rhubarb. This humble vegetable has been a favorite ingredient in desserts for centuries, and for good reason. With its vibrant color and tangy flavor, rhubarb is a versatile and delicious addition to any springtime menu.
But before we dive into the recipe for our delicious rhubarb dump cake, let's take a closer look at this fascinating vegetable and its history.
Rhubarb is believed to have originated in China, where it was used for medicinal purposes as early as 2700 BCE. It wasn't until much later, in the 18th century, that rhubarb made its way to Europe and eventually to North America. Today, it's a popular crop in many parts of the world, including the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Nutritionally, rhubarb is a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. It's high in fiber, vitamin K, and antioxidants, and contains significant amounts of calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Rhubarb is also low in calories, making it a great choice for anyone looking to maintain a healthy diet.
But let's be honest: the real reason we love rhubarb is for its delicious taste. This tart vegetable pairs perfectly with sweet flavors, making it a favorite ingredient in pies, cakes, and other desserts. And that brings us to our recipe for rhubarb dump cake.
Now I hate to admit it, but this recipe is as easy as it gets. It calls for a box of cake mix, it's ok, we love half scratch recipes that cut the time in half! For those who enjoy that cake batter flavor, I've got your covered! This simple yet delicious dessert is the perfect way to showcase the bright, tangy flavor of fresh rhubarb.
Here's what you'll need:
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3 oz.) package strawberry Jell-O
- 1 box yellow cake mix (see above)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped rhubarb, sugar, and strawberry Jell-O. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the rhubarb mixture, spreading it out evenly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and melted butter. Pour the mixture over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the rhubarb filling is bubbly.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with whipped cream.
This rhubarb dump cake is the perfect combination of sweet and tart, with a deliciously crumbly topping and a bright, tangy filling. It's the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of spring and the bounty of fresh, seasonal produce that comes with it.
As you can see, there's a lot to love about rhubarb. From its fascinating history to its many nutritional benefits to its delicious taste, this humble vegetable is a true springtime favorite. So the next time you're at the farmers' market, be sure to pick up some fresh rhubarb and give this delicious dump cake recipe a try. Your taste buds will thank you!
Adapted from: Insanely Good Recipes